Tuesday 11 April 2017

Album Review #3: The Chainsmokers - Memories... Do Not Open

Track #1: The One (Expicit)
Makes sense to have The One first. But sadly, the album did not start off well. Although the beat is fine, Andrew Toggart's voice is not displayed well. And I don't get why the Chainsmokers are starting to swear like everybody. It just annoys me that I can't download this song, not that I want to, but if I did want to download this song, I couldn't play it in the car because he swears. And the electronic aspect is so annoying.
3/10 

Track #2: Break Up Every Night (Explicit)
In this song Andrew Toggart sounds exactly like Simple Plan, but not in a good way. The electronic aspect, again, hurts my ears. I guess The Chainsmokers tried to isolate the E and the D from EDM, but it just doesn't work.
2/10

Track #3: Bloodstream (Explicit)
Finally an okay song! The beat is catchy, Andrew Toggart's voice is well showcased in this song and the electronic part is better. An improvement!
6.5/10 

Track #4: Don't Say (w/Emily Warren)
Throughout the horrifying sound of whatever in the back annoys me. But Emily Warren's voice is perfect except at the end, the other instruments sound great. The beat is great. Then when the electronic part comes out alone it sounds amazing! If only The Chainsmokers didn't add that horrible sound in the background. But my most anticipated song came off good.
7.5/10

Track #5: Something Just Like This (w/Coldplay)
Here, I believe I already said this, Coldplay sounds amazing. Chris Martin always has. The song is mellow, and the words amazing. But the The Chainsmokers destroy the feel with their horrible electronic work.
8/10

Track #6: My Type (w/Emily Warren)
The beat here is great. The electronic part is great. I loved this song when I first heard it. But then it is so repetitive... And Emily Warren sounds better in Capsize. Actually, I don't think she will ever beat Capsize.
7.5/10

Track #7: It Won't Kill Ya (w/Louane)
This track is funky. But it is also very cool. Louane's voice is amazing! If any of you watch The Voice, she was a semi-finalist in the second season.
9.5/10

Track #8: Paris (w/Emily Warren [technically])
I have seriously grown out of the chorus of this song. The only part that I still like is the verses and Emily Warren. But this song is better than some of the songs on the album.
7/10

Track #9: Honest
So Andrew Toggart tries to sing alone again. Fail... And I am getting tired of talking about the horrid electronic effects... And the lyrics make no sense.
3.5/10

Track #10: Wake Up Alone (w/Jhené Aiko)
Whenever some unknown artist collaborates with The Chainsmokers they sound good. But when someone known well like Halsey did Closer, she sounded horrible. The beat here is great. Close to the best song off the album.
10/10

Track 11: Young
This song has the best chance of making it big. This will probably be The Chainsmokers single after The One. I mean this song is ok. But is sure has the poppy feeling and good meaning.
7/10

Track 12: Last Day Alive (w/Florida Georgia Line)
How do these two guys go together? Doesn't make any sense. But this actually worked perfectly. Just when I thought that I lost hope with the electronic aspect of The Chainsmokers I hear the last song on the album. FGL sounds exceptional. This is the best song off the album and left a good imprint!
10/10

Overall album grade: 68%

Top 3:
1. Last Day Alive
2. Wake Up Alone
3. It Won't Kill Ya

Thanks for reading!

16 comments:

  1. I'll do a quick review on these songs later. But amazing post. I've only heard about half of theses songs on here, that's why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite song on this album is one of the four that you rated a 6.5 or lower. You'll have to wait until Friday to find out what it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said you'll have to wait until Friday - it's a future debut on my personal chart.

      Delete
  3. How is that an electronic duo teaming up with a God-awful bro-country duo has the best song off the album?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. Wha I didn't mean to delete that... How do get it back!

      Delete
    3. I don't think you can :(

      That said "I like country music" right?

      Delete
  4. Available for vote on Hits 1:
    Harry Styles - Sign of the Times

    ReplyDelete
  5. HitBound Entrants:
    Slide (RE-ENTRY)
    Thumbs
    Kissing Strangers
    Break My Heart
    Still Got Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *****ACTUAL Hit-Bound Entrants, as confirmed by Hits 1's Twitter:
      Good Life
      Kissing Strangers
      Break My Heart
      Still Got Time

      Delete